My Losing New Yorker Captions

Each week about 5,000 to 6,000 people enter the New Yorker Caption Contest, and each week about 5,000 to 6,000 people minus one (- 1) think their entries should have won, not that of the winning guy.

I am one of those.   My belief in the superiority of my entries is based upon regular analysis of what is precisely funny in the New Yorker tradition.   

But don’t take my word for it.  You be the judge. 

Here are my top ten entries below. (Regrettably copyright laws prevent me from reproducing the associated cartoon images).

1)      “Please, I will have another but this time without urine.”

2)      “Can you help me ? I have misplaced my nose.”

3)      “I might say this is unacceptable, but obviously it has been accepted.”

4)      “That is what I would call a gold man sax.”

5)      “This is the worst vacation I have ever had wearing a tutu.”

6)      “Next time, I will do the talking.”

7)      “This smell reminds me of London - so do you have a pencil ?”

8)      “Please don’t feed him.  He bites.” 

9)      “Jones, have you been sticking those in your body again ?”

10)   “Well, I wear mine as a hat.”




Check out Satire of Machivelli's The Prince


by Piccolò Mochiavelli

©Stubbornbooks 2012